Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY an expert on this subject, but I know what I like now and I’m dying to talk about some of the show’s I watched over the last two years. Why not do it here…on the website that I pay for? I am not into a lot of action, adventure, fighting anime. I have watched a few thrillers/ darker shows. I know they are popular, but for the most part I search out shows that have great character development. There are people out there who do a great job of reviewing these things too. I’m not that guy. I literally only talk about what caught and held my attention enough to complete a series. (Even if I didn’t like it.) So thanks for looking at my page!
Where do you watch your anime?
- Anywhere I can get it! Most of the time it’s Netflix, Youtube, and a website called Crunchyroll. This one is by far my favorite. You can watch for free with commercials but the subscription is cheap and the interface was super easy to use. Moreover, the iPad app was user-friendly and works great! Recently, I also subscribed to FUNimation. The shows seem to be right up my alley, but I really don’t like the interface. It’s big and confusing where I want things to be a little more simple. To me, it seems more like an online store and I wasn’t really looking for that. The iPad app pisses me off too. I already paid for a subscription, but to get the upgraded app, they also want me to pay more money. That is just plain stupid and seems like crappy customer service to me. I already pay you, now you want me to pay again?! Screw you. For better or worse I am in it with these guys for a year, so maybe in that time I’ll adjust and change my mind. As of right now, I don’t plan to renew no matter how “cool” FUNimation stuff is. The other thing I thought was a waste of money, despite having the latest episodes of some of the things I was looking for, was Hulu. I wasn’t happy with that subscription at all and ended up canceling it in the end.
How do you choose your shows?
- I get recommendations from friends most of the time, but my streaming sites make great recommendations for me, especially Crunchyroll! They haven’t steered me wrong yet!
What kinds of anime do you like?
- I am a sucker for Sports Anime, Slice of Life stuff, Romance (including BL), and some fantasy. I can tolerate Science Fiction as long as I can follow it. So far most of the Shonen stuff just doesn’t interest me as much. (i.e. Naruto or The Last Airbender or Full Metal Alchemist) I like the funnier shows that take the time to really show me who the characters are as well as the shows who are not afraid to turn the volume way up on everyone. Shows that make fun of themselves are also a plus! I do lean towards the ones with a strong, romantic element, but several of the shows I watched over the summer had zero romance in them. They were simply good shows! So I included those in the list here!
What’s the deal with this list?
- Several people approached me as being “anime curious” and since they were (mostly) ladies who had never watched stuff like this before, I figured I’d lay everything out here and let the chips fall where they may. I did not include any anime on this list that I didn’t finish. If it’s here, it means I watched every episode that was available. Even the stuff I didn’t care for. You never know who might like something you didn’t!
So here is a list of the shows I watched and what I thought! Thanks for reading this in any case and I hope you find it sort-of helpful in picking your next anime! Just click on the genre and it will take you to the page or access from DDO Cocktail Hour Homepage!
- Note: Anything in with ***’s is something I REALLY liked and is something I would watch all over again. If you are looking for Netflix stuff, look for the word “Netflix” in the first sentence.
- Sports Anime <—–New Stuff
- Romance <—–New Stuff!
- Other Stuff (because I didn’t know how else to categorize most of it!) <—-New Stuff!
Just for reference, here is the complete list of everything I’ve talked about on my blog in ABCbc order. Anything with a *** is a personal favorite. For the record, my all-time three favorite Anime are Junjou Romantica, Gangsta, and Yowamushi Pedal. They have a permanent place in my heart.
- Assassination Classroom
- Berserk, The Golden Age, Arc 1
- Blue Spring Ride
- Brothers Conflict
- Death Parade
- Diabolical Lovers (2 seasons)
- Drammatical Murder (DMMD)
- Durarara (2 seasons)
- Ergo Proxy
- Expelled from Paradise
- Food Wars Shokugeki no Soma
- Free! Owatobi Swim Club
- From Me To You
- Golden Time
- Junjou Romantica (3 seasons)***
- Kiss Him Not Me
- Kuroko no Basket (3 seasons)
- Love Stage
- Maid Sama
- Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun***
- My Little Monster
- My Love Story
- My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu (2 seasons)
- Ouran High School Host Club
- Princess Jellyfish
- Project K
- Red Data Girl
- Say I Love You
- Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi (World’s Greatest First Love)
- Sword Art Online
- Tokyo Ghoul***
- Vampire Knight
- Welcome to the N-H-K
- Yamada’s First Time: B Gata H Kei
- Yowamushi Pedal (cycling, 2 seasons)***
- Yuri on Ice ***
Stuff I am watching and will add to the list once I’m done: